Harlan-Lincoln House

Harlan-Lincoln House

The Harlan-Lincoln House, located on the north side of the Iowa Wesleyan College campus, has been maintained as a museum since 1959. The museum includes artifacts belonging to the Harlan and Lincoln families: a fragment of the coat Abraham Lincoln was wearing when he was assassinated; Mary Todd Lincoln's mourning veil; Harlan's desk, globe, and recliner; a door measuring the heights of the grandchildren in 1883; grandson Jack's rock collection and tennis net; family silver, dishes, books, furniture, and clothing.

The Harlan-Lincoln House was built in 1876 by U.S. Senator James Harlan. Harlan's daughter, Mary, married Robert Todd Lincoln, son of President Abraham Lincoln. The Lincolns brought their three children to spend summers here in the late 1870's and 1880's.

Later, the Robert Todd Lincolns owned the home, added a wraparound front porch, and spent extended periods of time here. The house tells the story of the 50-year relationship between a prominent American family and this small Iowa college and community.

Tours are available during open houses scheduled throughout the year or by appointment.

For more information or to arrange for a tour, contact Lynn Ellsworth, archivist for Iowa Wesleyan College and Executive Director of the Friends of the Harlan-Lincoln House, at 319-385-6320 or iwcarch@iwc.edu

Events

September 25

Midwest Dueling Pianos

Midwest Dueling Pianos

07:30 PM
image description