The Psychology Program offers an exciting program of courses in psychology, covering major content areas. A special emphasis of the Psychology program is on research and on applied areas such as mental health counseling and forensic psychology, consistent with student interests and current trends in the field. Psychology students leave the program prepared for the expanding job marketing and graduate training in an APA accredited program.
Students completing the Psychology major will:
- apply psychological theory and concepts to everyday world,
- demonstrate Psychological information literacy
- effectively deliver and structure an oral presentation
- use proper APA-style in written format
- adopt values that build community at local, national, and global levels
The Psychology major provides excellent preparation for a number of careers in such areas as social services, health care, government, business and teaching (in conjunction with the education major or an advanced degree). In addition, students wishing to continue their education at the graduate or professional level find that the Psychology major provides a solid foundation for both. 88% percent of Psychology majors who apply to more than one graduate school are admitted to a graduate program.