A gala celebration is being planned to celebrate the re-dedication and opening of the Iowa Wesleyan College Chapel. The public celebration will be held on Saturday, October 3, 2009, at 7:30 p.m.
The Chapel, a centerpiece of the Iowa Wesleyan College campus in Mt. Pleasant, has been undergoing extensive renovation for more than a year. The $5.6 million project is nearing completion.
“The Chapel is an historic treasure for all of us at Iowa Wesleyan,” said Iowa Wesleyan College President Jay Simmons. “But it is also a community treasure, serving for years as a performance venue for theatre, music, and school productions. We are thrilled to re-open the Chapel this fall, and to share that celebration with all of southeast Iowa.”
The re-dedication event will include musical presentations and speakers. A complete schedule of events will be announced in the next few weeks. The public is invited to attend.
The Iowa Wesleyan College Chapel was opened in 1893. It was the fourth building constructed on the campus, originally housing an auditorium, the college library, the President’s office, classrooms and chemistry laboratories. The building underwent a complete interior and exterior renovation in 1928-29 and additional exterior remodeling in the 1950’s.
In recent years the Chapel has been used primarily as a performance site. In addition to College groups and programs, the facility is used by the Southeast Iowa Symphony Orchestra, the Southeast Iowa Band, Mt. Pleasant Community Theatre, the Mt. Pleasant Chorale, local schools and area dance academies.
The renovation includes development of office space on the lower level for the offices of Admissions, Business and Financial Aid. A ground-level entrance and handicap accessibility have been added and a three-story addition on the back of the building completed. The auditorium, balcony and stage are in the final stages of renovation; new seating is being installed.
The public is invited to the Re-dedication and Musical Gala. Admission is free.