Mathematics-Secondary Teaching Major
A total of 26 hours of mathematics courses are required as follows:
- MATH 171, 231, 232, 429 and 491 (17 hours)
- Other MATH courses numbered above 171 (9 hours); excluding MATH 398, 440, 441, 442, 498
- In addition, the following support courses are required: CS 201, 202; PHYS 210, 220.
Please consult the Teacher Education section of this Catalog for the Professional Requirements.
A concentration of a minimum of 16 hours in Mathematics courses numbered 171 and above with at least six hours at the 300-400 level.
Mathematics-Secondary Teaching Minor
The following are required:
- A minimum of 21 credit hours of mathematics which shall include MATH 231, 232 and at least 12 additional hours of mathematics selected from courses numbered at 171 or higher. For secondary endorsement, MATH 171, (Elementary Statistics), 429 (Geometry) and 491 (Algebraic Structures) are required.
- A minimum of six hours of computer programming; CS 201 and 202.
The following secondary teaching certification options are available.
- Complete the mathematics major.*
- Complete a teaching major in another area and a mathematics-secondary teaching minor.
Teacher education requirements must be satisfied for all the above listed certification options. Please consult the Teacher Education section of this Catalog.
* Students wishing to be certified for secondary teaching in mathematics must take MATH 171, 429 and 491.