- The service-learning project(s) will total the number of units based upon the student’s academic classification upon entering Iowa Wesleyan College as a degree seeking candidate.
- Students are encouraged to design or locate their own projects, including registering for courses which contain an SL component. The Director is willing to help students and faculty develop their ideas, plans, goals, and has available a file of previous projects and potential service-learning opportunities.
- The service-learning project(s) should respond to some authentic community need or problem. Remuneration for services is not allowed; certain out-of-pocket expenses may be reimbursed by the sponsorship site. See the Director of SL for further clarification.
- All junior level students and above will enroll for SL 300 following the completion of their total units. Students will need to submit all academic work and schedule their presentation for the semester in which the credit is being earned. A letter grade is assigned in the semester enrolled.
- Beginning in the fall of 2009, transfer
students will go through a brief service-learning informational program upon
entrance into Iowa Wesleyan College which must be fulfilled by the conclusion
of their first semester.
Further information on courses offered through The Center for Service-Learning & Civic Engagement can be found on our website and the “Courses of Instruction” section of the 2009-2010 catalog. Complete details and components are available through The Center for Service-Learning & Civic Engagement.